Sunday, January 13, 2008

True Believer


Título: True Believer (2005)
Autor: Nicholas Sparks
País (impresión)/Editorial: USA/Warner Books
Páginas: 434
Leído del 6 al 10 de enero de 2008


Sitio Oficial del Autor

Buy: Barnes & Noble / Amazon


Quotes

He had assumed a false intimacy, acting as if he were everyone's brother or best friend, and it seemed that the vast majority of the awestruck audience -including the attractive blonde and the woman the guest was addressing- considered him a gift from heaven itself. Which made sense, Jeremy thought, since that was always where the lost loved ones ended up. Spirits from beyond the grave were always surrounded by bright angelic light and enveloped in an aura of peace and tranquility. Never once had Jeremy heard of a spirit guide channeling from the other, hotter place. A lost loved one never mentioned that he was being roasted on a spit or boiled in a cauldron of motor oil, for instance.
p. 2


Investigative journalism, he'd come to learn, was a thankless business.
p. 7


He snapped a picture of the magnolia tree as well. It was easily the largest he'd ever seen. Its black trunk was wizened, and the low-hanging branches would have kept him and his brothers occupied for hours when they were boys. If it weren't surrounded by dead people, that is.
p. 49


Then again, perhaps her visit here was simply a coincidence.
She continued moving toward him.
Come to think of it, a rather attractive coincidence.
p. 50


Again, the same cowlike expressions from patrons as he passed. Conversations quieted. Eyes drifted. When he nodded and waved, eyes dropped and the murmur of conversation rose again. This waving thing, he thought, was kind of like having a magic wand.
p. 55


"He was always a talker. He'd talk to a shoe box if no one else was around, and I swear I don't know how his wife, Bonnie, put up with it for so long. But twelve years ago, she went deaf, and so now he talks to customers. [...]
Jeremy reached for his coffee. "His wife went deaf?"
"I think the Good Lord realized she'd sacrificed enough. Bless her heart."
p. 59


Modern, it definitely wasn't. It wouldn't have been modern thirty years ago. [...] It was scenic, he had to admit, but the rustic part probably referred to mosquitoes and alligators, neither of which summoned up a lot of enthusiasm in him for staying there.
pp. 106 - 107


Dressed in green polyester pants and a blue turtleneck sweater, the man looked as if he'd dressed in the dark.
p. 107


The place was the Museum of Natural History transformed into a horror movie and squeezed into a closet.
p. 111


And besides, he didn't honestly care if the world came or not, as long as Lexie stayed part of his world.
p. 201


"That's fine," he said. "I'm all for you changing into something more comfortable."
"I'll bet you are," she said knowingly.
"Now, don't start getting fresh," he said, feigning offense. "I don't think we know each other well enough for that."
"That's my line," she said.
"I thought I'd heard it somewhere."
"Well, get your own material next time. And just so you know, I don't want you getting any funny ideas about tonight, either."
"I have no funny ideas. I'm completely devoid of humor."
pp. 226 - 227


"I thought you'd just have a video camera or something like that."
"I do. I have four of them."
"Why do you need four?"
"To film every angle, of course. For instance, what if the ghosts are walking in the wrong direction? I might not get their faces."
p. 229


[...] "What are you doing here, Jeremy?"
It was a moment before he answered. "I wasn't sure you were coming back," he said. "And I realized thsat if I wanted to see you again, the best option was to come to you."
"But why?"
Jeremy continued staring toward the lighthouse. "I felt like I didn't have a choice."
"I'm not sure what that means," she said.
Jeremy studied his feet, then looked up and smiled as if in apology. "To be honest, I've spent most of the day trying to figure it out, too."
pp. 295 - 296


[...] Jeremy peeked over her shoulder, watching as the butter began to melt.
"Looks healthy," he said. "My doctor always told me I needed extra cholesterol in my diet."
p. 306


"[...] If you want to sacrifice me, I can live with that. [...]"
p. 395

No comments: